Saturday, July 4, 2009

What to do for a hobby once your hobby is your job?

Sew, of course!
I love to sew and I need to create. It is a difficult thing sometimes. I have just finished another very busy spell where I haven't had any time for myself and very little for family or friends. What do I want to do? Head to my studio and create. Work on new (to me) techniques, play a bit. Does hubby understand? Not at all.
Here is my latest hobby attempt.
I have decided to learn to do free motion quilting/embroidery. I realize they are two different things, but similar. I am starting by making a cushion top by Gabriella Verstraeten featured in Machine Embroidery magazine's first issue. I think she is probably a wonderful teacher. This article has many different skills to use/master in one item. There is applique, precise cutting and looser cutting. satin stitch, free motion on larger areas and tighter areas as well as double needle stitching and using the "fancy" stitches on your machine. I am using a straight stitch only Husqvarna Mega Quilter, so I don't have all of the options.Look at the difference in stitching on the pink in the upper corner and then to the right. This is where I took the foot off.
Things I have learned:
I tend to press on the foot lifter bar and thow off my tension.
You need to remove the presser foor and leave it blank and/or use the darning foot. What a difference in control. I should have known this, too. Just in a hurry I guess.
Faster speed means more control, but in my case tends to break more thread.
Purple often photographs as blue.
I know I have a lot to learn, but I think I will like this new technique.

2 comments:

gwensews said...

It's always fun to learn new techniques. I used to do alterations as a job, and it took all the pleasure away from my "hobby" sewing.

Ann Made Studio said...

Samplers are fun to make especially when the techniques are new. I love the colors of your cushion top.
I got hooked on free motion stippling
awhile back. I had made a beautiful watercolor quilt wall hanging for my mom and stippled the whole thing :)

http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Watercolor-Quilts-Stitch-Method/dp/1564772705