Sunday, September 6, 2009

Random is hard to do well

Cute is easier though (for some, anyway).

Maisie in her new Mama-made jammies.

I have been tring to make a quilt with princesses on it, loosely based on this quilt from Pottery Barn.

I have fabrics in the colours I would like, but want them in long strips randomly forming the horizonal lines. Random is not easy to get right. I cut three different widths (3.5",4", 4.5") in various colours and cut them to slightly different lengths at around the one third mark

I sewed them in a dark/light order in groups of four. It wasn't until after I had them sewn together that I realised I needed one more block each to be able to stagger them. I had to cannibal-ize the strips to get the width I needed. The pictures ended up all wonky, but they really are straight. It was hard to photograph without standing on a chair and I don't want to do that in front of Maisie. She copies everything.
This is what I ended up with in the few hours I had today to sew. I think I am coming down with the flu, so I had a nap instead of doing any more.

ETA: in retrospect, I think the bars are too busy. The focus should be on the princesses, so I will redo it. I have gifts to make for two friends who recently had little girls, so I think this might become a pair of stroller blankets.

2 comments:

Ann Made Studio said...

I like how it looks so far.
I love quilts but just can't seem to finish one :( but I will one day :)

She is super cute in her jammies!

gwensews said...

What a cutie in her special pj's. Good luck on the quilt.