Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Silk Scarf


I had a layer of water soluble embroidery stabilizer that was starting to dry out so I thought I would use it to make some scarves. This one is orange/fuschia shot silk cut into rectangles and laid out in a brick pattern with some big spaces. I stitched it vertically and horizontally using a mixture of sewing thread colours. It seemed a bit plain so I couched some yarns down on top.
The spaces I mentioned are important. The one I did previously did not have them and looks stiff and heavy. Notice that I have no photos of that one. I lightly sprayed some 505 Fabric Adhesive on the length of water-sol and placed the silk on it, then layered another piece of the water-sol on top. I didn't want to use too much spray in case it marked the silk. For the first few lengths of stitching I had to be very careful because the top layer was loose, but it was OK after that. I might spray glue the water-sol on both sides if I try it again, but it wasn't easy to wash out and I need to give the scarf another soak/wash to get the rest out.
The fabric really seems to shrivel up with the stitching. The scarf is much shorter than I had anticipated.

5 comments:

Ann Made Studio said...

WOW! What an interesting scarf. It's beautiful.

gwensews said...

That's the type of accessory one finds at an upscale boutique. Very nice.

Mardel said...

That is beautiful. I love that you see something that needs using and turn frugality into art.

Anonymous said...

Wow these scarfs are so beautiful and I love red color. The design and color is too good. I really impress with these designs. So thanks for sharing with me such a nice article. For the more information visit on www(dot)uzbekalive(dot)com.
Silk Scarf

Anonymous said...

Mary Pat,

The scarf is glorious. I'm going to reread your directions so I can make one.

Karendee