I seem to have issues posting on Blogger which make me not want to write. The Dragon Scales have been done for a while but my frustration has prevented me from completing this. I am going to try writing in one post and pictures in another.
I turned and laid out the appliques, arranging them in a "controlled random" fashion. Some of the lighter ones were semi transparent so I cut and inserted cotton broadcloth into an interlining for those pieces.
While at a quilt shop recently, I was inspired by an Oakshott cotton charm pack. I decided to create a scalloped design and am making it into a pillow. I created a design using as much of the square as I could and used interfacing as a facing for the scallops.
The interfacing was sewn with the fusible side to the right side of the fabric and stitched with a 1/4" seam allowance. I was able to get two scallops from each square.
They needed to be notched and turned and soon I had a pile of little scallops. I laid them out on a square and discovered that I need more so will need to dig into my stash. I had bought a set of fat quarters in the Oakshott last year so will finally use some of them. Most of the Oakshott fabrics are shot cottons, where the warp and weft are different colours. This gives them a depth and richness. They are very lively appearance compared to regular solids.